How to see a Doctor
Before you can start to use this facility you must be over 16 years old and register for online services. Download a form to register here or call into the surgery . You will be provided with a unique username and password to login. Please ask at reception for further details.
Make an appointment online now.
Surgery phone lines are open from 8:00am Monday to Friday. If you need a same day appointment, please phone first thing as most of our appointments for that day are available to book from 8.00am. Naturally, the phone lines will be busy, so please bear with us. For non-urgent appointments or other routine matters, please phone after 10:00am. Most of our appointments are 10-12 minutes in length, so please be thoughtful of other patients waiting if you have several problems.
Why does the receptionist ask me what is wrong?
Reception staff are members of the practice team and it has been agreed by the GPs that they should ask patients for a few details of ‘why they need to be seen’. This is so that the receptionist can direct you to the most appropriate person to deal with your problem. This can be covered by the following statement.
We aim to provide you with:
- The most appropriate medical care
- From the most appropriate healthcare professional
- At the most appropriate time
Receptionists are also asked to collect brief information from patients
- To help doctors prioritise house visits and phone calls
- To ensure that all patients receive the appropriate level of care
- To direct patients to see the nurse or other health professional rather than a doctor where appropriate
Reception staff are bound by confidentiality rules
- Any information given by you is treated in the strictest confidence
- The practice takes any breach of confidentiality very seriously and will deal with it accordingly
- You can ask to speak to a receptionist in private away from the reception counter
- However if you feel an issue is very private and do not wish to say then we will respect your decision
Doctors and blood taking appointments are available to book online
Missed appointments: Unfortunately, many appointments are booked and the patient never shows up or is late and has missed the appointment slot. This means there are fewer appointments for everyone else. We understand sometimes you may be running late or will, on occasion, forget.
Please ring and let us know if you are running late or need to cancel your appointment.
Make an appointment
Please call in to your usual surgery to make an appointment.
Patients who have informed us of their mobile telephone numbers will get a text reminder when their appointment is due. If you DO NOT wish to receive text messages from us please download and print the Text Messaging Opt-out form, when complete hand it to our receptionist and we will mark your records accordingly.
If you are too ill to come to the surgery and feel a home visit is needed, please telephone your usual surgery as early as possible, preferably before 10.30am; a doctor will call you back to discuss the problem. Telephone numbers can be found on the York and Hull pages.
If you are unable to keep a booked appointment please telephone the surgery as soon as possible, enabling us to offer this appointment to another patient. Telephone numbers can be found on the York and Hull pages.
When the surgeries are closed
- For medical emergencies please telephone 999 or 112 – If the patient is seriously ill and in need of immediate emergency medical care.
- Out of hours GP service – Telephone 0845 056 8060, gives you access to a GP when the surgery is closed.
- NHS Direct– Telephone 0845 4647, for a 24 hour helpline service offering advice and information.
- NHS walk-in-Centres
York – Telephone 01904 674557. Located as part of the urgent care centre at York Hospital, YO31 8HA.
Hull – Telephone 01482 335180. Located in Wilberforce Health Centre, 6-10 Story Street,Hull, HU1 3SA.
- Minor injuries – Hull – You can usually be treated more quickly at Minor Injury Units than at A&E. Your nearest in Hull are located at:
Bransholme – Telephone 01482 344665
Preston Road – Telephone 01482 344580