Future doctors get chance of extra funding and support with new mentoring programme launched by local GP Practice
20th February 2022 - 7:40 PM
Haxby Group GP Practice has launched a new GP Mentoring and Support Programme, offering bursaries to people wanting to become a GP.
The new programme is designed to offer support to future doctors and those applying to medical school across the region.
Anyone interested in becoming a doctor will get the chance to apply to the GP Mentoring and Support Programme, set up by Haxby Group GP Practice. It promises to give people a practical understanding of what it’s like to work as a GP, as well as helping them navigate the application and medical training stages, from undergraduate to postgraduate training.
Haxby Group’s GP Partner Prof Mike Holmes explained: “We wanted to offer practical and some financial support to people who would not normally get the chance to get this sort of experience. This scheme will give a leg up to those people who really need it. We need people from all backgrounds with a range of life skills to enter general practice and don’t want anyone to miss out.
“The programme is open for anyone in the York, Hull or Scarborough areas and is specifically for local people from non-medical families and those who would not normally consider applying to study medicine.”
Haxby Group is offering a range of annual bursaries as part of the scheme.
Who is it for?
· Anyone from York, Hull or Scarborough areas
· Specifically to local people from non-medical families and those who would not normally consider applying to study medicine.
· Sixth form students considering applying to become doctors
· Medical students
· Foundation year medical students
· Anyone on the GP training scheme.
What the programme offers
The programme will support people through the application and training process.
It will offer education, mentorship and the opportunity to gain paid employment during training
It will give people the opportunity to meet healthcare teams who work on the front line.
· Help with interview preparation
· Summer work experience opportunities
· Opportunity to work within a GP practice at the end of the scheme as part of the GP Fellowship scheme
Annual bursaries available
In addition to mentoring, the following bursaries will also be offered as part of the programme to support training and development:
· Sixth form bursary – £250
· Medical student bursary – £250 per year, over five years
· Foundation year medical student – £250 per year
· GP training scheme – £1,000 per year development opportunities
For more information, and details of how to apply, please contact HR.Team@haxbygroup.co.uk
Download our information pack here