Improving Access Service launches in York
In addition to our standard appointment times, patients now have the opportunity to visit, or talk to a healthcare professional in the evenings, at weekends and on bank holidays, thanks to a new scheme which launched in October 2018.
Dr Mike Holmes said: “This is fantastic news for our patients. It is the biggest investment in primary care for some years and we are delighted and proud to be part of this new service in York.
“We know people currently find it difficult to get a face-to-face or telephone appointment at their GP practice, at a time to suit them.
“This new service will give people a better choice of appointment times and more options to speak to a clinician, or even, eventually, have a virtual consultation on their mobile device or computer.”
In time, the new service will offer more appointments between 6.30pm and 8pm each weekday, with additional slots available at weekends and bank holidays. The appointments will be pre-bookable, by telephoning the surgery.
We will also be listening to people’s views about the service, so that it can be changed to suit their needs. The aim is to offer a range of routine appointments with GPs and other clinical staff.
The new service, which will cover the York Central area, including Pocklington, will be rolling out in phases. It will eventually be based at four hub surgery sites:
- Cornlands Road Medical Centre, Acomb
- Woolpack House, The Stonebow, York
- Huntington Surgery, 1 North Lane, York
- The Beckside Centre, Pocklington, East Yorkshire
Services will include:
- Extra appointments available weekday evenings, including bank holidays
- Extra appointments at weekends
- Appointments with a range of clinicians – doctors, nurses, primary care practitioners etc.
- Telephone booking via your local surgery
- Face-to-face appointments
- Telephone appointments
- Virtual, online consultations using digital technology will be introduced later
- Appointments available 6.30pm until 8pm, weekdays, including bank holidays
- Service covers 365 days/year
Patients with more urgent health care needs, that are not life threatening, will be advised to contact NHS 111 for help and advice.
Walk in appointments are not included in the improving access service.
The contract for this service is held with Nimbuscare Ltd, a group of five GP Practices. The following 12 practices are included in the service in the York Central area:
- Dalton Terrace
- East Parade
- Front Street
- Haxby Group
- Old School
- Pocklington Group
- Priory Medical Group
- Unity Health
- York Medical Group