SOCIAL DISTANCING AND SELF-ISOLATION – WHAT IS IT AND WHO IS IT RECOMMENDED FOR?
WHAT IS SOCIAL DISTANCING AND WHO IS IT RECOMMENDED FOR
Social distancing is recommended for EVERYONE to help us prevent the spread of the virus. It is especially for older people and vulnerable people.
We advise those people who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.
This group includes those who are:
- aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
- under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):
- chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such asasthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
- chronic heart disease, such asheart failure
- chronic kidney disease
- chronic liver disease, such ashepatitis
- chronic neurological conditions, such asParkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
- problems with your spleen – for example,sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
- a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such asHIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
- being seriously overweight (a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above)
- those who are pregnant
For information on social distancing measures, please go to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults
WHAT IS SELF ISOLATION AND WHO IS IT RECOMMENDED FOR
Self-isolation is recommended for:
- people with symptoms that may be caused by coronavirus, and do not require hospital treatment, who must remain at home until they are well
- those living in households with someone who shows symptoms that may be caused by coronavirus
For more information please go to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection