Home>Your care>Self Care

For some conditions, you may not need medical advice

There are lots of conditions that are self-limiting, which means they will go away either on their own or without specific treatment. For these kinds of conditions, you may not need advice from a medical professional.

If you would like more information about how you can manage a range of conditions yourself, please visit the NHS A-Z website. If you are persistently unwell, and/or your symptoms worsen, always seek medical help.

If you feel you do need advice from a healthcare professional, there are alternatives to visiting your GP. For example, your local pharmacist can help with certain problems, and there are certain direct access services available, depending on where you live.

York self-care

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT)

The Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) scheme aims to increase the availability of talking therapies for mental health issues, such as stress, anxiety, and depression. You can self-refer to the scheme and an assessment will be given over the phone to make sure IAPT is right for you.


YOURPHYSIO is the physiotherapy website for the Vale of York. It provides help and information for the early management of common injuries and pain problems.

Hull self-care

NHS Minor Ailment Scheme

Everyone can ask their pharmacist for advice, and as part of the NHS Minor Ailment Scheme, some people may also be able to get free treatment from a pharmacist for a variety of common illnesses, without seeing a GP.

To be eligible, you must be registered with a Hull GP, go to a Hull pharmacy that is part of the scheme, and you must be entitled to free prescriptions. Find out more about the scheme, including participating pharmacies using the button below.

Facebook icon Twitter icon YouTube icon